Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Sentinel Of My Library






Thoth is an Egyptian god… ibis headed (sometimes depicted with the head of a baboon… well, how rude is that?!)

One of the important gods of the Egyptian pantheon, Thoth is also a great scribe. He is often depicted with a stylus.

Thoth played many vital and prominent roles in Egyptian mythology, such as maintaining the universe, and being one of the two deities (the other being Ma'at, who was also his wife) who stood on either side of Ra's boat. In the later history of ancient Egypt, Thoth became heavily associated with the arbitration of godly disputes, the arts of magic, the system of writing, the development of science, and the judgment of the dead.

Considering Thoth’s affiliation to knowledge, the written word and wisdom… I have this statuette of Thoth guarding my library!  He was a gift my uncle was given on a tour of Egypt… but he found the statuette grotesque and believed that this was one of the guardians of the tombs.

I corrected his mistake and told him why Thoth is important… and a nice god to have around. But, he wasn’t convinced much about the nicety of a god with a sharp beak.
I love the statuette and he said I could keep it… and so here he is… 
The Sentinel Of My Library.

Thoth... in the shadows
All aglow
Duplicity!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...